Monday, January 14, 2008

Reconnect-Write

Letters; who doesn’t remember getting their first letter? I must have been twelve years old when I got a letter from my grandmother. I also got letters from one of my Dad’s sisters. We, Grandma Bell, Aunt Era and I corresponded off and on for years. Until other things took precedence.

What joy to walk to the mail box, expecting nothing but bills or junk mail, to lift out that envelope with my name on it. That envelope is evidence that someone has been thinking of me. Evidence that they cared enough to write.

What has happened to that art? Has life taken so much of our time that we can’t sit down for a few minutes and let our family and friends know we love them? I for one am guilty of this lack of attention to those I love. Oh, I send emails but, that isn’t enough. Email is too casual, too indicative of this fast passed life where other more urgent things intrude upon what is really important.

I am going to slow down, take a few minutes a day, and write to those I love. If it is just a little note then at lease they will know that I remember that I think of them and that I care about them. I want them to know how much they mean to me. So starting today I will put forth some of my writing efforts towards cards and letters.

Getting reconnected is always a good thing. What do you think?

No comments: