Thursday, September 1, 2011

We Are Accountable

Jeremiah 17:5-10 NIV

This is what the Lord says:

“Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord. He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in salt land where no one lives.

But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream, it’s leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

”I the lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.”


We must be careful what we set our hearts on. Is my focus on what God wants for me or on gaining wealth and possessions? Things only give pleasure for awhile then they lose their appeal.

I am taking inventory of what consumes my thoughts and energies. I must put God first or nothing else will matter. If I am not in God’s will, living as I know He wants, then nothing I do is for good. It will not bear fruit for God’s kingdom and that is what I want.

My heart longs to be closer to God but knowing me I know that I am easily distracted. If I allow distractions and ignore the Lord my days will be filled with useless things. Knowing I must answer to Him I pray that He will keep me on track, in His will and help me to change what I am doing.

Sometimes life takes over and while we are busy just surviving what is being thrown at us we get off track and begin living for ourselves instead of God. It is during those times that my work suffers both housework and writing. It is also during those times that I slip back into the habit of filling hours with shopping and buying things I don’t need. Oh, they are always on sale or clearance. But buying at 50 to 90% off when I don’t really need those things is still a waste of money. Also I must consider the time I waste. Running the roads, alone, keeps me from focusing on the Lord and what He wants in my life.

I must be honest with God, he already knows my heart. He knows what is on my mind. He knows if I am honest, deceitful, hurting, grieving, floundering, etc... Being honest with God and with myself is very important to becoming the person He wants me to be.

Father, forgive me for letting things get in the way of my relationship with you. Forgive me for neglecting you and for letting my work suffer also. Cleanse and heal me I pray so that I may be of use to You. Keep me on your path Lord and use me in some small way for Your glory. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments: