Monday, September 29, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Forced evacuation is no fun, especially when at the end you can’t return as quickly as you wish. Though my reasons for delay were necessary and though I was glad to stay and take care of my parents, who were sick, I still yearned to be home with my family, to see for myself that all was well and that my sweetheart, who had to stay at work, was really alright.

The ache was deep and could have distanced me from my circumstances and my responsibility. Making it through the days ahead depended on my ability to give everything to God. He was my source for peace and strength.

Now that I am home and things are getting back to normal I can see how His hand kept me calm when all I wanted to do was sit and cry. Our God is faithful. He is the source of everything we need. When things are out of our hands and we don’t feel able to cope He will take over, if we ask.

We left, our son, Patrick and I, on Sept. 11th at 9 AM. Pat came home on the 15th. I returned on the 22nd to a place that was changed from a shady quiet street to a sunny street with constant noise of chain saws, huge brush removal vehicles and stump grinders.

Pictures on TV of outlying areas in Galveston, Chrystal Beach, & Chambers County show some of the devestation. There are those in Baytown who have lost everything, their homes and possetions, but if you talk to them they will tell you that they are blessed to be alive and whole, things can be replaced.

Thank You Lord for carrying me through, for keeping our family and home safe, for being with our friends and neighbors, may we never forget that You are the source of our every need. I praise You, Lord, may all be for Your glory. In Jesus name I pray, amen & amen.

No comments: