Thursday, April 3, 2008

The List

Confronting those things which hold us, captive in our own self made prison, is earnestly needed. It is urgently needed and should be desired by us all, though it can be one of the most painful things we ever do. But then growth is often painful.

I don’t remember the painful growth of bones and muscles when I was a little girl. One thing I do remember is the pain I experienced, when growing into a teen, of being teased and relegated to the fringes of school life as if unworthy of inclusion. I felt it deeply. Yes, words do hurt.

I feel just as deeply, now, the need for confronting those things that turn me towards food for comfort instead of my heavenly Father. As I began to pray I listed the words that came to my mind so I could confront, study and turn from them. At the top of the list was anger and this was directed at; myself, those people who had hurt me, even God.

As I prayed for forgiveness I felt an indescribable lightness filling my spirit along with hope that as the days progressed and I confronted all those other items on "The List" I would begin to feel a true freedom in Christ.

Hope is a heady sensation and one that I pray will take root in my soul. May it be so strong within me that it will never waver in the days and years to come.

Confronting our attitudes, motives and ideas is a good thing, don't you think?

No comments: