Friday, November 9, 2007

The Battle

Sin creeps into our lives so insidiously, quietly, insistently. We must guard our hearts, or as scripture says; "Be anxious for nothing but in all things through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to the Lord, and the peace of God which passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-7 Jesus is the key, our relationship to Him. Keeping that relationship open, clean and pure will enable Him to work in our lives so that sin cannot so easily sneak in. We have a choice, God's will or sin.

What is the bottom line when we face things like disillusionment, anger, fear or hatred? These things are sin, or can lead us into sin. The most important thing is to remain in God’s will. A few years ago the phrase WWJD became popular. It has since lost popularity but it is still a good way to measure what we should do. This is especially true about our thoughts, actions and attitudes.

Illegal aliens are here so what is the best way to deal with them? I am struggling with anger. "These people are here illegaly. They broke the law to get here so they have no rights," the voice inside my head shouts. And if I allow it to continue the anger builds. This anger brewing below the surface is not normal for me, it is not good for me or my relationship with God, nor is it the best way to handle this situation.

What I must do is pray, for myself and my attitude yes, but also for them. If I pray for God’s will in their lives, mine and for America everything else will fall into place. If I treat them as God would want me to I know it will please Him and that is my desire. That is the bottom line. Pleasing my heavenly Father.

This isn’t an easy thing to do but with God’s help it is possible. I am even noticing a change in my thought pattern; when I see them everywhere, when I feel overwhelmed, when anger tries to take hold I know to pray. Praying for their salvation and God’s will in their lives as well as His will in my own life is good for everyone.

Allowing God to lead me in all areas of my life is necessary for continued growth. If I do not grow spiritually I become useless to Him. Giving up those things to Him that I have no control over, knowing that He knows best what is needed and trusting Him to work through the situation brings peace and I can rest in His will for us.

The peace He brings to my heart and life is important. Without His peace, His leading and choosing to trust Him life would be difficult, hard, joyless. Choosing His will isn’t always easy but it is always right.

No comments: